The BBPOS WisePOS E card reader terminal must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the computer running your Scratch dashboard (dashboard.getscratch.com) or your desktop app
Setting up your terminal
This video will walk you through the setup process step-by-step:
Turning the terminal on and off
When you first receive the device, install the battery. With the back of the device facing you, lift up from the indentation at the bottom left corner to detach the back cover. Insert the battery by sliding it into the exposed slot with the gold connectors at the top aligned.
Not inserting or misaligning the battery is the #1 reason for terminal issues!
Once charged, hold down the power button on the right hand side of the terminal until the screen turns on. Once the device is powered on, pressing the power button once will sleep and wake the device. To fully power off the device hold down the power button until the power off option is shown on the screen, then select it.
When not in use, leave the BBPOS WisePOS E plugged in and powered on to receive automatic software updates.
Connecting the reader to the internet
To connect to Wi-Fi or switch networks, go to settings, then select Wi-Fi settings to choose the network and connect. The BBPOS WisePOS E must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the computer you are using to access dashboard.getscratch.com or the Scratch Pay desktop app.
Your WiFi network must be password protected. Non-password-protected networks or enterprise networks are not supported.
Accessing settings & connecting terminal to your Scratch Dashboard
To open the settings menu swipe right from the left edge of the terminal screen to reveal a settings button.
Tap the settings button and enter the admin PIN 07139
Then select "Generate Pairing Code" to get your 3 word pairing code:
From here, you'll log into your Scratch Pay dashboard and select "Collect Payment" on the left hand side, then select "Terminal". You'll then select "Register and Connect New Card Reader" and enter the 3 word verification code to connect the reader to be able to take payments (see image below)
Stripe, our payment processing partner, maintains the software that controls the BBPOS WisePOS E. The terminal receives updates automatically from Stripe when not in use. These can include improvements and required security updates from Stripe and BBPOS. As software updates are made available, update your terminal to the latest available version to continue using it with Scratch Pay Checkout. Failing to install a required update can prevent the terminal from accepting payments.
Leave your terminal on and connected to power to receive automatic software updates. This ensures that updates happen at midnight (in your local time zone) to avoid interruption to sales. If you unplug the reader at night, an update could start when you turn it back on. To manually check for an update, reboot the reader.
Ethernet and Charging Dock
Ethernet connectivity for the WisePOS E reader requires the use of an optional dock, which provides wired Ethernet connectivity while also keeping your card reader fully charged using the included charging cable.
To set up the dock, connect an Ethernet cable from your router into the ethernet port on the dock, and plug in the dock to a USB wall adapter using the included USB charging cable. The Ethernet dock will only work while plugged in to power.
The BBPOS WisePOS E prioritizes connecting through Ethernet if possible. Even if previously configured for Wi-Fi, the reader switches to using an Ethernet connection when connected to the dock with a plugged-in Ethernet cable. If the reader is removed from the dock, it automatically switches back to the Wi-Fi connection.
- Terminal is unable to connect to the internet over WiFi
- To check connectivity, go to Settings by swiping from left to right on the screen. Enter the admin PIN 07139 then select WiFi Settings.
- Ensure the reader is connected to the same network as your computer.
- Check that signal strength is good.
- Terminal is unable to connect to the internet over Ethernet
- Ensure that the reader is firmly inserted into the dock by removing it from the dock and inserting the bottom side first.
- Both the Ethernet and power cables must be connected before the reader is inserted. Ensure both cables are plugged in then re-insert the reader.
- Terminal is unable to update
- Disconnect and reconnect the terminal to WiFi
- Ensure your WiFi connection is strong and stable. If not, move the terminal to a location with a better WiFi signal.
- Restart the terminal by holding down the power button for 5 seconds.
- Terminal is flashing green lights
- Flashing green lights indicate that the device must be re-set at the factory. Contact Scratch Payment Processing Support by emailing email@example.com or calling 626-600-7170 to get a replacement terminal.
For terminal questions, please contact Scratch Payment Processing Support by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 626-600-7170